lower right: E L Henry, 69
George Whitney, Philadelphia, by 1870; purchased 1885 by James F. Sutton on behalf of the (American Art Association, New York); purchased 1892 by W.S. Allen; (American Art Association, New York); gift 1900 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Collections of the American Art Association to be Absolutely Sold by Auction to Settle the Estate of the Late R. Austin Robertson, American Art Association, 7-8 April 1892, no. 102.
- An Exhibition of Nineteenth Century Virginian Genre, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 17 January - 13 February 1946, no. 22.
- American Processional 1492-1900, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 8 July - 17 December 1950, no. 244.
- Paintings by Edward Lamson Henry, Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute, Utica, 1956, no catalogue (probably).
- American Landscape Painters, 1800-1960, Norfok Museum of Arts and Sciences, 3 March - 5 April 1961, no. 14.
- The Civil War: The Artists' Record, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1961-1962, no. 149.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 15 April - 30 September 1966, unpublished checklist.
- Corcoran [The American Genius], Corcoran Gallery of Art, 24 January - 4 April 1976, no checklist.
- Painting in the South: 1564-1980. Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond; Birmingham Museum of Art; National Academy of Design, New York; Mississippi Museum of Art, Jackson; J.B. Speed Art Museum, Louisville; New Orleans Museum of Art, 1984-1985, no. 87 (shown only in Richmond).
- The Works of E.L. Henry: Recollections of a Time Gone By, R.W. Norton Art Gallery, Shreveport, 13 September - 8 November 1987, unnumbered checklist.
- The Century Club Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 July - 13 September 1993, unpublished checklist.
- Old Virginia: The Pursuit of a Pastoral Idea, Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, 15 February - 8 June 2003, no checklist.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, NY; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, checklist no. 36.
- The Plantation in American Art, University of Virginia Art Museum, Charlottesville; Gibbes Museum of Art, Charleston, South Carolina; Morris Museum of Art, Augusta, 2008, no checklist.
- The Civil War and American Art, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 2012-2013, no. 56.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013-28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Shapiro, Emily Dana. "Edward Lamson Henry, The Old Westover House." In Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 134-135, 267, repro..