Presented 1788 to Benjamin West [1738-1820], London; (his estate sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 1 July 1820 and following days [this lot 6 July 1820], no. 97, bought in); (his family's sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 18-19 March 1898, 2nd day, no. 149, as The Siege and Relief of Gibraltar by J.S. Copley); Murray, probably for William Cleverley Alexander [1840-1916], London. W.A. Liston, Plymouth, England. (Hammer Galleries, New York); purchased 1966 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 24 January - 4 April 1966, unpublished checklist.
- Zweihundert Jahre amerikanische Malerei 1776-1976, Rheinisches Landesmuseum, Bonn; Museum of Modern Art, Belgrade; Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna, Rome; National Museum of Polan, Warsaw, 30 June 1976 - 10 December 1976, no. 3.
- Benjamin West and His American Students, National Portrait Gallery, Washington; Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 16 October 1980 - 19 April 1981, unnumbered catalogue.
- John Trumbull: The Hand and Spirit of a Painter, Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, 28 October 1982 - 16 January 1983, no. 10, repro.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, Detroit Institute of Arts, 13 January - 25 June 1990.
- Picturing History: American Painting 1770-1930, IBM Gallery of Science and Art, New York; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Dallas Museum of Art; Center for the Fine Arts, Miami; Phoenix Art Museum, 28 September 1993 - 19 February 1995, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 320, repro.