in standard script on the base in underglaze blue in three vertical columns of two characters each: Da Qing Kangxi nian zhi (made in the Kangxi reign of the great Qing dynasty)
Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931], New York; sold before 1907 to Peter A. B. Widener, Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from Estate of Peter A. B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Loan Exhibition of Rare Chinese Porcelains in Aid of Various Charities, Duveen Brothers, New York, 1907, no. 346.
The vessel is ink-stained, and there is a triangular chip on the underside of the mouth.
- Loan Exhibition of Rare Chinese Porcelains in Aid of Various Charities. Exh. cat. Duveen Brothers, New York, 1907: no. 346.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 21.
- Christensen, Erwin O. Chinese Porcelains of the Widener Collection. Washington, 1947 (rev. ed. 1956): 30; 1956, 34.
- Bower, Virginia, Josephine Hadley Knapp, Stephen Little, and Robert Wilson Torchia. Decorative Arts, Part II: Far Eastern Ceramics and Paintings; Persian and Indian Rugs and Carpets. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 72-74, color repro.