in standard script on the base in underglaze blue in three vertical columns of two characters each: Da Qing Kangzi nian zhi (made in the Kangzi reign of the great Qing dynasty)
Marsden J. Perry [1850-1935], Providence, Rhode Island. J. Pierpont Morgan [1837-1913], New York. (Duveen Brothers, New York); sold 1915 to Peter A. B. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from Estate of Peter A. B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park; gift 1942 to NGA.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, c. 1910-1911.
- Morgan 1904-1911, 2:80, no. 1319, pl. 123 (top right).
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 21.
- Christensen, Erwin O. Chinese Porcelains of the Widener Collection. Washington, 1947 (rev. ed. 1956): 30; 1956, 34.
- Bower, Virginia, Josephine Hadley Knapp, Stephen Little, and Robert Wilson Torchia. Decorative Arts, Part II: Far Eastern Ceramics and Paintings; Persian and Indian Rugs and Carpets. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 58-60, color repro.
There are a few pinholes in the interior glaze./ACC 1942.9.508
There is seal paste residue on the closing surfaces of cover and receptacle.