lower right: Alfred H. Maurer
Probably by descent in the family of Francis G. Newlands [1846-1917], Washington; his daughters, Edith Newlands Johnston [1876-1965, Mrs. Charles Haven Johnston], and Janet Newlands Johnston [1878-1963, Mrs. William Bernard Johnson], Washington; gift 1950 to Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
Associated NamesCorcoran Gallery of Art
- Possibly A Special Exhibition of Paintings by the French Impressionists and the Works of Six American Artists Residing in Paris, Minneapolis Society of Fine Arts, 1908, no. 91, as Girl in Brown Kimono.
- Possibly Special Exhibition of Paintings and Sculpture by Six American Artists Residing in France, Art Institute of Chicago; Memphis Society of Fine Arts, Detroit Art Museum, 1908, no. 23, as Girl in Brown Kimono.
- A Retrospecitve Selection of Oils by Alfred H. Maurer, Bertha Schaefer Gallery, New York, 1958. checklist no. 1.
- Alfred H. Maurer, 1868-1932, National Collection of Fine Arts, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, 1973, no. 3.
- Alfred H. Maurer: An American Modernist, University of Minnesota Gallery, Minneapolis, 1973, unpublished checklist.
- Henri's Circle, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 20 April-16 June 1985, unnumbered checklist.
- Le Japonisme, Grand Palais, Paris; National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 1988, no. 100.
- At Home with Art: Paintings in American Interiors, 1780-1920, Katonah Museum of Art, New York, 1995, unnumbered checklist.
- The Kimono Inspiration: Art and Art-to-Wear in America, Dixon Gallery and Gardens, Memphis, 1996-1997, unpublished checklist.
- The Gilded Cage: Views of American Women, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2002, unpublished checklist.
- Figuratively Speaking: The Human Form in American Art, 1770-1950, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2004-2005, unpublished checklist.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Epstein, Stacey Beth. "Alfred H. Maurer: Aestheticism to Modernism, 1897-1916." Ph.D. dissertation, City University of New York, 2003: 46, 50-51, repro.
- Naeem, Asma. "Alfred Henry Maurer, Young Woman in Kimono." In Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 184-185, 275, repro.