lower right in chalk: "Degas"
Estate of William A. Clark; Bequest 1926 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art; Stored at John Handley High School in Winchester, VA from 1942-1944; Acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Masterpieces of the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Wildenstein Gallery, New York, 1959, 32.
- The William A. Clark Collection, The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington DC, April 26 - July 16, 116, no. 96.
- Sargent's Contemporaries, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 4 June - 28 August 1983, unpublished checklist, no. 8.
- Degas and America: The Early Collectors, The High Museum of Art, Atlanta, GA, February 3-May 27, Minneapolis Institute of Arts, June 16-Septemeber 9, no. 39.
- Focus on the Corcoran: Works on Paper, 1860-1990, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2015.
- The Touch of Color: Pastels at the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2019 - 2020, unnumbered catalogue.
- Manson, JB. The Life and Works of Edgar Degas. London, The Studio, Pl. 57 (repr.).
- Lemoisne, Paul André. Degas et son Oeuvre. 4 vols. Paris, 1946-1949: 2:280-281, no. 434.
- Dumont, Henri. Degas. New York, 1948: 9 (repr.).
- Schulman, Michael.Edgar Degas, Digital Critical Catalogue. MS-1997.