lower right in graphite: C Demuth 1919-
the artist, Lancaster, Pennsylvania; Francis Biddle, Washington, DC, 1928; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1957; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art
- 26th Annual Philadelphia Watercolor Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1928
- Selections from the Collection of the Honorable and Mrs. Francis Biddle, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1957, no. 15, repro
- The New Tradition—Modern Americans before 1940, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1963, p. 57, no. 26
- Charles Demuth, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, 1966
- An Exhibition of Paintings, Drawings, and Sculpture by Charles Demuth, Arthur Dove, and John Marin, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1967
- Charles Demuth, Akron Art Institute, Ohio, 1968
- Charles Demuth: The Mechanical Encrusted on the Living, Art Galleries, University of California, Santa Barbara; University Art Museum, University of California, Berkeley; Phillips Collection, Washington, DC; Munson-WIlliams-Proctor Institute, Utica, New York, 1971-1972
- That’s Entertainment, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1980, no. 14
- Of Time and Place: American Figurative Art from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC; Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service, 1981-1983, pp. 100-101, no. 37, repro
- Charles Demuth, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; Los Angeles County Museum of Art, California, 1987-1988, p. 93, no. 33, repro
- Impressionism, Realism, Modernism: Works on Paper from the American Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2007
- Focus on the Corcoran: Works on Paper, 1860-1990, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2015
- Simmons, Linda Crocker and with the assistance of Adrianne J. Humphrey, et al. American Drawings, Watercolors, Pastels, and Collages in the Collection of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Washington, DC: Corcoran Gallery of Art, 1983: p. 176, no. 1198.
- Weinberg, Jonathan. Speaking for Vice: Homosexuality in the Art of Charles Demuth, Marsden Hartley, and the First American Avant-Garde. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 1993, p. 55.