on verso, by unknown hand, upper left corner in red marker: AC.A.305; / rubber stamped in black ink: THIS PRINT / IS NOT TO / BE MOUNTED / OR AIRBRUSHED; vertical along upper left edge in purple ink: 17; top center in graphite: OA 8229; / in blue ink: 62-17-2; on label in graphite: CH 4568; / in orange grease pencil: UNDERGROUND; in blue pencil: A.2; upper right corner in graphite: BLACKS CIVIL / RIGHTS / 49%; left center perpendicular in graphite: 65409; inverted: 61729 / 62845; inverted: 50122 [crossed out]; diagonally: 28363 [crossed out]; 47173 / 40803 [crossed out]; center, in black grease pencil: CAMBRIDGE, MD / 1964; / in graphite: CLIFF VAUGHS (center); vertical along right edge rubber stamped in black ink: Photography by / Danny Lyon / © 1969 MAGNUM PHOTOS / 72 West 45th Street, N.Y.C. 10036; center right inverted in graphite: 55132; lower left corner, rubber stamped in black ink: MAGNUM / PHOTO LIBRARY PRINT / NEW YORK. / 53423 / LOG REF: / TO BE RETURNED.; inverted in graphite: 25990 [crossed out]; / in graphite: 19057 [crossed out] 10761 [crossed out] 17994 [crossed out] / 44748 10264 [crossed out] 42002 [crossed out]; lower right in graphite: CREDIT - DANNY Lyon / 39 BEEKMAN ST / NY NY 10035 / BE-3-3518; along bottom right edge in black marker: THE MOVEMENT - BOOK PRINT; vertical along lower right edge rubber stamped in black ink: This is the original print / used for reproduction in / MEMORIES OF THE SOUTHERN / CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT
Danny Lyon, Clintondale, NY; (Simon Lowinsky Gallery, New York); Friends of the Corcoran, Washington, DC; gift to Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1994; acquired by NGA, 2015.
- Developing Illusions, 1873-1998: Photographs from the Corcoran Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, November 14, 1998 – January 18, 1999
- Both Sides of the Street: Celebrating the Corcoran's Photography Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, April 12 – December 8, 2003
- Sight/Insight: Photographs from the Permanent Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, April 26 – October 29, 2006
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, March 1 – July 27, 2008
- Danny Lyon: Message to the Future, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, June 16 – September 25, 2016; Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, de Young, Legion of Honor, San Francisco, November 5, 2016 – April 30, 2017, unnumbered catalogue.