on proper left rear: PAVLOWA / BY / MALVINA HOFFMAN / 1926
The artist; consigned or sold June 1929 to (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), as Bust of Anna; purchased December 1929 or January 1930 by James Parmelee [1855-1931], Cleveland and Washington; his estate; bequest 1949 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Portraits of the American Stage, 1771-1971, An Exhibition in Celebration of the Inaugural Season of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, National Portrait Gallery, Washington, 10 September - 31 October 1971, no. 47, repro.
- Hoffman, Malvina. "Miss Malvina Hoffman on Her Own Portraits." The Sketch (1 July 1925).
- "Pavlova as Herself: One of the Malvina Hoffman Portrait Busts of the Famous Dancer." The Sketch (1 July 1925): 648.
- Alexandre, Arsene. Malvina Hoffman. Paris, 1930.
- Craven, Wayne. Sculpture in America. Newark, 1968: 562.