The artist; (his estate sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 24-27 July 1925, no. ); (Ferargil Galleries, New York); purchased November 1925 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- The Private World of John Singer Sargent, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Cleveland Museum of Art; Worcester Art Museum; Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute, Utica, 17 April 1964 - 3 January 1965, no. 163, repro.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 15 April - 30 September 1966, unpublished checklist.
- Wilderness, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 9 October-14 November 1971, no. 157 (organized by the National Endowment for the Arts).
- "Sketch Everything and Keep Your Curiousity Fresh": Sargent Drawings From the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 13 February - 9 May 1999.
- Sargent's Drawings: John Singer Sargent in the Corcoran Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 11 July 2009 - 21 March 2010.
- Herdrich, Stephanie L., and Barbara Weinberg. American Drawings and Watercolors in The Metropolitan Museum of Art. New York and New Haven, 2000: 267.