Probably inherited from the artist by his daughter, Caroline Hunt Rimmer [1851-1918], Boston; her niece, executor of her will, and the artist's granddaughter, Edith Rimmer Durham Simonds [1877-1935, Mrs. Henry Simonds], Lexington, Massachusetts; gift 1920 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1916-1920.
- 19th and 20th Century Sculpture, Watkins Gallery of American University, Washington, 13 November - 20 December 1949, no catalogue.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 15 April - 30 September 1966, unpublished checklist.
- American Sculpture, Sheldon Memorial Art Gallery, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, 11 September - 15 November 1970, no. 132, repro.
- William Rimmer: A Yankee Michelangelo, Brockton Art Museum, Massachusetts; Cleveland Museum of Art; Brooklyn Museum of Art, 22 September 1985 - 26 July 1986, no. 4, repro.
- Bartlett, Truman H. The Art Life of William Rimmer: Sculptor, Painter, and Physician. Boston, 1882: 27, pl. 6..
- Seymour, Charles Jr. Tradition and Experiment in Modern Sculpture. Washington, 1949: 40, 42.
- Craven, Wayne. Sculpture in America. Newark and New York, 1984: 352, 367.