lower right, by another hand: Monticelli / 1871
 Even though the painting is dated 1871, according to Aaron Sheon of the Department of Fine Arts, University of Pittsburgh, in a statement of 9 May 1977, "... the signature and date are additions. The work dates from the 1880s, not 1871 as signed." The statement is recorded on the Corcoran accession record sheet, in NGA curatorial files.
T. Martin-Chave, Marseille. sold c. 1914 to William A. Clark [1839-1925], New York; bequest April 1926 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Exhibition of Paintings from the Collection of Honorable William A. Clark, Lotos Club, New York, January 1920, no. 41, as Nature morte.
- Loan Exhibition. Masterpieces of the Corcoran Gallery of Art: A Benefit Exhibition in Honor of the Gallery's Centenary, Wildenstein, New York, 28 January - 7 March 1959, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Monticelli: His Contemporaries, His Influence, Museum of Art, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh; Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Rijksmuseum Vincent Van Gogh, Amsterdam, 26 October 1978 - 2 September 1979, no. 33.
- The William A. Clark Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 26 April - 16 July 1978, unnumbered catalogue.
- Carroll, Dana H. Catalogue of Objects of Fine Art and Other Properties at the Home of William Andrews Clark, 962 Fifth Avenue. Part I. Unpublished manuscript, n.d. (1925): 200, no. 248.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: