on top of base, back left center: Bessie Potter Vonnoh / No 1 / Copyright 1903; at edge of base, back right: ROMAN BRONZE WORKS / N.Y.
Marks and Labels
FM: Roman Bronze Works
Purchased March 1910 from the artist by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
Associated NamesCorcoran Gallery of Art
- Works in Sculpture by Mrs. Bessie Potter Vonnoh, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 5-20 March 1910, no. 10.
- The American Renaissance 1876-1917, Brooklyn Museum; National Collection of Fine Arts (now Smithsonian American Art Museum), Wshington; Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco; Denver Art Museum, 13 October 1979 - 30 November 1980, no. 273.
- Of Time and Place: American Figurative Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Cincinnati Art Museum; San Diego Museum of Art; University of Kentucky Art Museum, Lexington; Hunter Museum of Art, Chattanooga; Philbrook Art Center, Tulsa; Portland Art Museum, Oregon; Des Moines Art Center; Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, FL, 1981-1983, no. 25.
- The Woman Sculptor: Malvina Hoffman and Her Contemporaries, Berry-Hill Galleries, New York, 24 October - 8 December 1984, no. 38, repro.
- Women at Work: Sculpture from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, 1897-1947, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 16 May - 23 August 1987, unnumbered catalogue.
- The American Century: Art and Culture 1900-2000, Part I: 1900-1950, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 15 April - 5 September 1999, unnumbered catalogue.
- Gilded Cage: Views of American Women, 1873–1921, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 13 July - 27 August 2002, unpublished checklist.
- The Impressionist Tradition in America, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 19 July 2003 - 18 October 2004, unpublished checklist.
- Figuratively Speaking: The Human Form in American Art, 1770-1950, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 20 November 2004 - 7 August 2005, unpublished checklist.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1 March - 27 July 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Banta, Martha. Imaging American Women: Ideas and Ideals in Cultural History. New York, 1987: 358, 361, fig. 8.11.
- Conner, Janis, and Joel Rosenkranz. Rediscoveries in American Sculpture: Studio Works, 1893-1938. Austin, 1989: 165.
- Aronson, Julie. Bessie Potter Vonnoh: Sculptor of Women. Athens, OH, 2008: 88, 93-96, 126, fig. 9.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: