on the base beneath the horse's raised proper right front leg: APHIMISTER PROCTOR / 1898 / GOLD MEDAL / PARIS EXPOSITION / 1900; on the side of the base near the bottom edge on the horse's proper right side: PARIS [or] PAT47 [or] Ptd47; on the base below the horse's proper left rear leg: COPY RT. 1899; on the base beneath the horse's tail: QRM GORHAM CO. FOUNDERS [maker's mark of three boxes] G [figure of lion] C
Marks and Labels
FM: Gorham Co.
The artist; purchased May 1918 through (Gorham Company, New York) by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Works in Bronze by A. Phimister Proctor, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 5-31 March 1918, no. 16.
- The American Renaissance 1876-1917, Brooklyn Museum; National Collection of Fine Arts (now Smithsonian American Art Museum), Washington; M.H. de Young Memorial Museum, Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco, Denver Art Museum, 13 October 1979 - 30 November 1980, no. 253, fig. 148.
- The American West: Selections from the Anschutz Collection and the Corcoran Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 25 March - 26 April 1981, no. 31, repro.
- Paris 1900: The "American" School at the Universal Exposition, Montclair Museum of Art, New Jersey; Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia; Columbus Museum of Art, Ohio; Elvejem Museum, University of Wisconsin, Madison; Musee Carnavalet, Paris, 18 September 1999 - 29 April 2001 (shown only in Montclair).
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1 March - 27 July 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Bronzes from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 29 April 2009 - 2013, no catalogue.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 29 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- The American West in Bronze, 1850-1925, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Denver Art Museum; Nanjing Museum, China, 18 December 2013 - 18 January 2015, no. 39 (shown only in Denver).
- Taft, Lorado. The History of American Sculpture. New York, 1930: 477.
- Broder, Patricia Janis. Bronzes of the American West. New York, 1971: 113.
- Nemerov, Alexander. "Projecting the Future: Film and Rae in the Art of Charles Russell." American Art (Chicago, Winter 1994): 80.
- Cash, Sarah, with Terrie Sultan. American Treasures of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. New York, 2000: 134, repro.
- Hassrick, Peter H. Wildlife and Western Heroes: Alexander Phimister Proctor, Sculptor. Fort Worth, 2003: 123, 125.
- May, Stephen. "Wildlife and Western Heroes: Alexander Phimister Proctor." Antiques and the Arts Weekly(June 2004); 40.