on top of base: EDWARD KEMEYS / 1888 [animal head in a circle] Original
The artist's wife, Laura Swing Kemeys [d. 1934], Washington; purchased 1907 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works in Sculpture by the late Edward Kemeys, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 15-26 December 1907.
- American Art and the Quest for Unity: American Art Between World's Fairs 1876-1893, Detroit Institute of Arts, 24 August - 30 October 1983, no. 164, repro.
- Wild Life and Western Heroes: Alexander Phimister Proctor, Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth; Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody, Wyoming, 11 October 2003 - 10 October 2004, fig. 20.
- American Bronzes from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 29 April 2009 - 2013, no catalogue.
- Taft, Lorado. The History of American Sculpture. New York, 1930: 47.
- Craven, Wayne. Sculpture in America. Newark and New York, 1984: 537-539.