lower left: F. W. Benson / '25
The artist; purchased March 1926 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Tenth Exhibition of Contemporary American Oil Paintings, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 4 April - 16 May 1926, no. 222, repro.
- Loan Exhibition from the Corcoran Gallery of Art: Selected Group of Twenty American Painters, Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte, March-April 1939, unnumbered checklist.
- The Object as Subject: American Still Lifes from the Corcoran Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 10 December 1978 - 1 April 1979, no. 18.
- Extended loan for use by Vice President and Mrs. George H.W. Bush, Vice President's House, Washington, 1981-1989.
- Loan for use by the Secretary, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, 1993-1995.
- The Impressionist Tradition in America, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 19 July 2003 - 18 October 2004, unpublished checklist.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, checklist no. 83 (Washington only).
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1 March - 27 July 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Paintings from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 6 June - 18 October 2009, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Simmons, Linda, et al. The Forty-fifth Biennial: The Corcoran Collects, 1907-1998. Exh. cat. Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington D.C., 1998: 107.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art : American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 287, repro.