left side: Daniel C. French / 1923
The artist; purchased December 1924 through (Grand Central Art Galleries, New York) by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- [exhibition], M. Knoedler & Co., New York, 16-28 April 1923.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 15 April - 30 September 1966, unpublished checklist.
- Banta, Martha. Imaging American Women: Ideas and Ideals in Cultural History. New York, 1987: 458, 467.
- Cash, Sarah, with Terrie Sultan. American Treasures of The Corcoran Gallery of Art. New York, 2000: 151.
- Finn, David, with Susan Joy Slack. Sculpture at the Corcoran: Photographs by David Finn. New York and Washington, 2002: 92-94.
- Hassrick, Peter H. Drawn to Yellowstone: Artists in America's First National Park. Los Angeles, 2002: 186-188.
- Hassrick, Paul. "Artists in America's First National Park." Antiques and Fine Art (Autumn 2004): 206-207.
- Richard, Paul. ""From the Collection: Washington's Prize Possessions." The Washington Post (2004): Arts sec. 7.