on the side of the hill below the back of the figure's head, just above the bottom edge, superscript and underlined "T" in "SCULPT": WM H RINEHART / SCULPT ROME 1875
 Left unfinished at the time of Rinehart's death in October 1874, his studio records indicate that the sculpture was finished by Leone Clerici, one of the stonecutters he employed to assist with his work; see report and change of date memo of 24 June 2005 by Randall McLean, Corcoran research fellow, in NGA curatorial files.
Purchased October 1875 from the artist's estate by the Corcorcan Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Nineteenth Century Sculpture, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 10 March - 27 May 1974, unpublished checklist.
- William MacLeod: Painter and Curator, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 10 September - 7 November 2005, no. 14, unpublished checklist.
- Osgood, Samuel. "American Artists in Italy." Harper's New Monthly Magazine(August 1870); 422.
- Rusk, William Sener. William Henry Rinehart, Sculptor. Baltimore, MD, 1939; plate xv, 41, 53.
- Ross, Marvin Chauncey and Anna Wells Rutledge. William Henry Rinehart, Maryland Sculptor, 1825-1874. Baltimore, MD, 1948; 12, 22
- Larkin, Oliver W. Art and Life in America. New York, 1960; 183.
- Gerdts, William H. American Neo-Classic Sculpture: The Marble Resurrection. New York, 1973; 45.
- Cash, Sarah, and Terrie Sultan. American Treasures of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. New York, 2000: 86, repro.