on top of the base: John Rogers New York; on side of the base: Taking the Oath and Drawing Rations; on back of the base: patented Jan 30 1866
(Kennedy Galleries, Inc., New York); purchased December 1961 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, with funds provided by Orme Wilson; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- The Civil War: The Artists' Record, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 17 November 1961 - 31 December 1962, no. 232.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 15 April - 30 September 1966, no catalogue.
- Of Time and Place: American Figurative Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Cincinnati Art Museum; San Diego Museum of Art; University of Kentucky Art Museum, Lexington; Hunter Museum of Art, Chattanooga; Philbrook Art Center, Tulsa; Portland Art Museum, Oregon; Des Moines Art Center; Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, FL, 1981-1983, no. 12, as After John Rogers.
- John Rogers: Civil War Sculptor, Fort Ward Museum and Historic Site, Alexandria, 23 May - 23 October 1989.
- Figuratively Speaking: The Human Form in American Art, 1770-1950, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 20 November 2004 - 7 August 2005, unpublished checklist.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1 March - 27 July 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Bronzes from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 29 April 2009 - 2013, no catalogue.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Williams, Hermann Warner, Jr. Mirror to the American Past: A Survey of American Genre Painting, 1750-1900. Greenwich, CT, 1973: 13.