Collection of the artist; purchased 1905 by Franklin MacVeagh [1837-1934], Chicago; probably by inheritance to his son, Eames MacVeagh [1871-1948], Chicago; purchased 1942 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 15 April - 30 September 1966, unpublished checklist.
- 150th Anniversary of the National Academy of Design, National Collection of Fine Arts (now Smithsonian American Art Museum), Washington, 6 June - 1 September 1975, no. 107, repro.
- Beaux-Arts to Moderne: Roots of Modern Sculpture, Fine Arts Program of the Federal Reserve Board, Washington, 22 June - 13 August 1993, no. 16.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1 March - 27 July 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Bronzes from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 29 April 2009 - 2013, no catalogue.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Cash, Sarah, and Terrie Sultan. American Treasures of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. New York, 2000: 130, repro.