lower center: A. Fisher, pinx. Feb 7 1818
Possibly S.W. (possibly Samuel Wyllys) Pomeroy, Esq., Cincinnati, c. 1849. (Irving Barlow, Boston area),1955/1956; acquired 1955/1956 by (Vose Galleries, Boston); purchased April 1957 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Possibly Gallery of the Western Art Union, Cincinnati, c. May - October 1849, no. 32 as Crossing the Ford.
- [Loan exhibition of early American paintings, from Vose Galleries], Old Sturbridge Village, November 1956, no catalogue.
- Progress of an American Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 26 October - 29 December 1963, unpublished checklist.
- Corcoran [The American Genius], Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1963, no checklist.
- Of Time and Place: American Figurative Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Wshington; Cincinnati Art Museum; San Diego Museum of Art; University of Kentucky, Lexington; Hunter Museum of Art, Chattanooga; Philbrook Art Center, Tulsa; Portland Art Museum, Oregon; Des Moines Art Center; Museum of Fine Arts, Saint Petersburg, 1981-1983, no. 1.
- Georgian Canada: Conflict and Culture, 1745-1820, Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, 7 June - 21 October 1984, no. 207.
- Views and Visions: American Landscape before 1830, Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 1986 - 29 March 1987, unnumbered checklist.
- Figuratively Speaking: The Human Form in American Art, Corcoran gallery of Art, Washington, 20 November 2004 - 7 August 2005, unpublished checklist.
- The American Evolution: A History Through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1 March - 27 July 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Paintings from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 6 June-18 October 2009, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Phillips, Dorothy W. A Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Vol. 1: Painters born before 1850. Washington, 1966: :53, repro. 54.
- Cash, Sarah, with Terrie Sultan. American Treasures of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. New York, 2000: 34, repro.
- Carson, Jenny. "Alvan Fisher, Mishap at the Ford." In Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 66-67, 257, repro.