Josephine Caldwell Dillingham, Philadelphia; gift 1958 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- A Century and a Half of American Painting: Selections from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Dulin Gallery of Art, Knoxville, 3 April - 13 May 1963, no. 4.
- Progress of an American Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 25 October - 29 December 1963, unpublished checklist.
- Jasper F. Cropsey, 1823-1900, University of Maryland Gallery, 1968, cat. no. 2.
- A Distant Harmony: Comparisons in the Painting of Canada and the United States of America, Winnipeg Art Gallery; Art Gallery of Hamilton, Canada, 1983, cat. with no checklist.
- Parry, Ellwood, C. The Art of Thomas Cole: Ambition and Imagination. Newark, Delaware, and London; 1988; 209, 260, 393.