lower right: G.Gaul
(Old Print Shop, Inc., New York); purchase February 1957 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- The Working American, District 1199, National Union of Hospital and Health Care Employees, New York; Detroit Historical Museum; Memorial Art Gallery of the University of Rochester; Chicago Historical Society; Birmingham Museum of Art, Alabama; New Jersey State Museum, Trenton; Museum of Our National Heritage, Lexington, Massachusetts, (Smithsonian Institution Travelling Exhibition Service),15 September 1979 - 31 January 1981, no. 9, repro.
- Of Time and Place: American Figurative Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Cincinnati Art Museum; San Diego Museum of Art; University of Kentucky Art Museum, Lexington; Hunter Museum of Art, Chattanooga; Philbrook Art Center, Tulsa; Portland Art Museum, Oregon; Des Moines Art Center; Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, FL, 1981-1983, no. 27, repro.
- A Portrait of American Heritage: An Agrarian Art Exhibition, Briscoe Art Gallery, 3 February - 25 April 1986.
- Impressionism and the South, Greenville County Museum of Art, South Carolina, 20 September - 13 November 1988.
- Figuratively Speaking: The Human Form in American Art, 1770-1950, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 20 November 2004 - 7 August 2005, unpublished checklist.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1 March - 27 July 2008, unpublished checklist.
- Phillips, Dorothy W. A Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Vol. 2: Painters born from 1850 to 1910. Washington, 1973: 20, repro. 19.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 298, repro.