on back: J. Alden Weir / L. Warner / 1880; on lower rear edge of base: ROMAN BRONZE WORKS N-Y-
Marks and Labels
FM: Roman Bronze Works
(Ferargil Galleries, New York); gift 1925 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Nineteenth Century Sculpture, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 3 March - 26 May 1974, unpublished checklist.
- A Century and a Half of American Art, National Academy of Design, New York, 10 October - 16 November 1975, repro.
- 200 Years of American Sculpture, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 1 March - 26 September 1976.
- Albert Pinkham Ryder, National Museum of American Art (now Smithsonian American Art Museum), Washington; Brooklyn Museum, 6 April 1990 - 8 January 1991, fig. 12.
- Broun, Elizabeth. Albert Pinkham Ryder. Exh. cat. National Museum of American Art, Washington, D.C., 1989: 21.
- Fink, Lois Marie. American Art at the Nineteenth Century Paris Salons. Washington and Cambridge, England, 1990: 246.
- Craven, Wayne. American Art: History and Culture. New York, 1994: 383.