lower right: Louis Moeller
Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931], New York, by 1893; (his sale, American Art Association, New York, 14-17 February 1899, 4th day, no. 362); Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Seventh Annual Art Loan Exhibition: A Collection of American Paintings Never before publicly exhibited, New York Athletic Club, April 1893, no. 28.
- Loan Exhibition of Paintings, Union League Club, New York, 8-10 February 1894, no. 35.
- Second Annual Summer Exhibition of American Paintings, Fifth Avenue Art Galleries, New York, June 1894, no. 78.
- The Romantic Century, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 22 June - 9 September 1963, no catalogue.
- Of Time and Place: American Figurative Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Cincinnati Art Museum; San Diego Museum of Art; University of Kentucky Art Museum, Lexington; Hunter Museum of Art, Chattanooga; Philbrook Art Center, Tulsa; Portland Art Museum, Oregon; Des Moines Art Center; Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, Florida, 1981-1983, no. 24.
- Figuratively Speaking: The Human Form in American Art, 1770-1950, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 20 November 2004 - 7 August 2005, unpublished checklist.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, NY; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, no. 56.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Phillips, Dorothy W. A Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Vol. 1: Painters born before 1850. Washington, 1966: 20-21, repro.
- Phillips, Dorothy W. A Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Vol. 2: Painters born from 1850 to 1910. Washington, 1973: 21, repro. 20.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 309, repro.