Commissioned c. 1749 by the sitter, Simon Pease [1695-1769], Newport; by descent in his family; sold 1938 to (Albert Duveen, New York); sold by 1939 to Myron Charles Taylor [1874-1959], New York, and Locust Valley, Long Island; (his estate sale, Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York, 3-5 November 1960, no. 296); purchased jointly by (Hirschl and Adler, Inc., New York) and (M. Knoedler and Co., New York); purchased 18 October 1965 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Portraits of George Washington and Other Eighteenth Century Americans, M. Knoedler & Company, New York, 13 February - 4 March 1939, no. 7, repro.
- American Portraits by American Painters, 1730-1944, Knoedler Galleries, New York, 24 April - 13 May 1944, no. 2.
- Old and New England: an Exhibition of American Painting of Colonial and Early Republican Days Together with English Painting of the Same Time, Rhode Island School of Design Museum of Art, Providence, 19 January - 18 February 1945, no. 35, repro.
- Robert Feke, Whitney Museum of Art, New York; Heckscher Art Museum, Huntington, New York; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1946, no. 20 (Heckscher Art Museum alternative exhibition title: Robert Feke: Native Colonial Painter, unnumbered checklist).
- Four Centuries of American Art, The Minneapolis Institute of Arts, 27 November 1963 - 19 January 1964, unnumbered checklist.
- Suggested Additions, Milwaukee Art Center, 8 May - 9 June 1963, no. 30, repro.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 15 April - 30 September 1966, unpublished checklist.
- Corcoran [The American Genius], Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 24 January - 4 April 1976, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Phillips, Dorothy W. A Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Vol. 1: Painters born before 1850. Washington, 1966: 18, repro.
- Cash, Sarah, and Terrie Sultan. American Treasures of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. New York, 2000: 21, repro.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 296, repro.