Purchased February 1820 from the artist by Charles Russell Codman [1784-1852], Boston; by descent to his son, James McMaster Codman [1831-1917], Boston; by inheritance to his daughter, Cora Codman Wolcott, Brookline; (her estate sale, Louis Joseph, Inc., Auctioneers, Boston, 13 May 1954, no. 492); unknown buyer; purchased by (Eunice Chambers, Hartsville, South Carolina); purchased 1957 by Dr. Irving Levitt, Detroit; purchased December 1962 by (Hirschl and Adler Galleries, New York); sold 1963 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- First Annual Exhibition of Paintings at the Boston Athenaeum, 10 May - 10 July 1827, no. 33.
- Exhibition of Pictures Painted by Washington Allston, Harding's Gallery, Boston, 25 April - 10 July 1839, no. 18.
- Twenty-fourth Annual Exhibition of Paintings at the Boston Athenaeum, 27 May - October 1850, no. 86.
- Exhibition of Works by Washington Allston, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, May - July 1881, no. 226.
- Romantic America, John Herron Art Institute, Indianapolis, 8 January - 5 February 1961, no. 2.
- American Paintings and Drawings from Michigan Collections, Detroit Institute of Arts, 10 April - 6 May 1962, no. 9, repro.
- Progress of an American Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 26 October - 29 December 1963, unpublished checklist.
- The Beckoning Land, Nature and the American Artist: A Selection of Nineteeth Century Paintings, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 18 April - 13 June 1971, no. 3, repro.
- Corcoran [The American Genius], Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1976, no checklist.
- The American Landscape Tradition, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1978, unpublished checklist.
- A Man of Genuis: The Art of Washington Allston (1779-1843), Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 11 December 1979 - 27 April 1980, no. 55.
- The Century Club Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 21 July - 13 September 1993, unpublished checklist.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, NY; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, checklist no. 10.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Staiti, Paul. "A Landscape After Sunset." In Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 68-69, 257, repro.