Agmondisham Vesey [1708-1785], Lucan House, Country Dublin, Ireland; by descent in the Vesey family; (sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 3 December 1926, no. 92); purchased by Walton. (sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 25 March 1927, no. 95); purchased by Barclay; purchased by (Mortimer Brandt, New York); acquired by Mrs. E. Lovette West, Bronxville, New York, by 1950; her daughter, Bernice West Beyers [Mrs. Robert A. Beyers], Dallas; gift 1963 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- The Seventh Exhibition of the Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1775, no. 335.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 15 April-30 September 1966, unpublished checklist.
- Corcoran [The American Genius] Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1976, no checklist.
- Figuratively Speaking: The Human Form in American Art, 1770-1950, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2004-2005, as Cupid Stung by a Bee.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, NY; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, checklist no. 3.
- American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Paintings from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 6 June-18 October 2009, unpublished checklist.
- Carson, Jenny. "Benjamin West, Cupid, Stung by a Bee, Is Cherished by His Mother." In Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 52-53, 254, repro.