lower left: J. C. Cazin
American Art Association, New York; (sale, American Art Association, at Chickering Hall, New York, 10 April 1900, no. 28, as Low Tide); (M. Knoedler & Co., New York); purchased April 1900 by William A. Clark [1839-1925], New York; bequest April 1926 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Exhibition of Paintings from the Collection of Honorable William A. Clark, Lotus Club, New York, 1920, no. 49.
- Loan to display with the permanent collection, Renwick Gallery, Washington, 1971.
- La Vie Moderne: Nineteenth Century French Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Columbus Museum of Arts and Sciences, Georgia; Mary and Leigh Block Gallery, Northwestern University, Evanston; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Tampa Museum; Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha; Akron Art Museum, 1983-1985, no. 33, repro.
- Illuminations: Images of Landscape in France, 1855-1885, Heckscher Museum, Huntington; Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore; Dixon Gallery and Gardens, Memphis, 10 March - 10 November 1990, no. 18, repro.
- From Corot to Monet: The Ecology of Impressionism, Complesso del Vittoriano, Rome, 6 March - 29 June 2010, no. 65, repro.
- Carroll, Dana H. Catalogue of Objects of Fine Art and Other Properties at the Home of William Andrews Clark, 962 Fifth Avenue. Part I. Unpublished manuscript, n.d. (1925): 117, no. 36.