lower right in watercolor: J P / 1797
Mrs. Philip Hinkle, Cincinnati, Ohio; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1897; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art
- Privately Owned: A Selection of Works of Art from Collections in the Washington Area, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1952, p. 36, no. 167
- Charles Peale Polk (1767-1822), A Limner and His Likenesses, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC; Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center, Williamsburg, Virginia; Dayton Art Institute, Ohio; Hunter Museum of Art, Chatanooga, Tennessee; Heritage Plantation of Sandwich, Massachusetts, 1981-1982, p. 88, repro
- Painting in the South: 1564-1980, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond; Birmingham Museum of Art, Alabama; National Academy of Design, New York; Mississippi Museum of Art, Jackson; J. B. Speed Art Museum, Louisville, Kentucky; New Orleans Museum of Art, Louisiana, 1983-1985, p. 198, no. 35, repro
- The Taste of Power: The Rise of Genteel Dining and Entertaining in Federal America, The Octagon, Washington, DC, 1990, p. 2, no. 8
- The Peale Family: The Creation of a Legacy, 1770-1870, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Pennsylvania; M. H. De Young Memorial Museum, Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, California; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1996-1997, pp. 212-214, pl. 99, repro
- Feminine Images: American Portraits, 1750-1860, Daughters of the American Revolution Museum, Washington, DC, 2001
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2008
- Peacock, Virginia Tatnall. Famous American Belles of the Nineteenth Century. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: J. B. Lippincott Company, 1901, pp. xi, xiii, 11-17.
- Bolton, Theodore. Early American Portrait Painters in Miniature. New York: F. F. Sherman, 1921, p. 126, no. 32.
- Brockway, Jean Lambert. "The Miniatures of James Peale." Magazine Antiques 22, no. 4 (October 1932): pp. 130-134, no. 91.
- Phillips, Dorothy W. A Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Vol. 1: Painters Born Before 1850. Washington, DC: Corcoran Gallery of Art, 1966, p. 26.
- Cash, Sarah, and Terrie Sultan. American Treasures of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. New York: Abbeville Press, 2000, p. 28.