lower right: E.Leutze.Dsdf. 1854; lower right reverse: 29 May
Purchased 9 February 1855 from the artist by William Wilson Corcoran [1798-1888], Washington; gift 10 May 1869 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Eighth Annual Exhibition, Maryland Insitute for the Promotion of the Mechanic Arts, Batlimore, 2 October - 5 November 1855, no. 80.
- Possibly Second Exhibition, Metropolitan Mechanics' Institute, Washington, 21 February - 14 March 1855, no cat.
- Williams, Stevens & Williams, New York, 1855.
- First Annual Exhibition of the Washington Art Association, 10 March - 16 May 1867, no. 83, as Milton playing the organ at Cromwell's house.
- Modern Painting Isms and How They Grew, Baltimore Museum of Art, 12 January - 11 February 1940, unnumbered checklist, as Cromwell and Milton.
- De Gustibus: An Exhibition of American Paintings Illustrating A Century of Taste and Criticism, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 9 January - 20 February 1949, no. 10, as Cromwell and Milton.
- The Romantic Century, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 22 June -9 September 1963, no catalogue.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, 15 April - 30 September 1966, unpublished checklist, as Cromwell and Milton.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, Renwick Gallery, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, 1971-1979, as Cromwell and Milton.
- American Portraits and History Paintings by Emanuel Leutze (1816-1868), University Art Museum, University of California, Berkeley, 20 April - 20 May 1976, unpublished checklist, as Cromwell and Milton.
- Emanuel Leutze, 1816-1868: Freedom Is the Only King, National Collection of Fine Arts (now Smithsonian American Art Museum), Smithsonian Institution, Washington, 16 January - 14 March 1976, no. 22, repro., as Cromwell and Milton.
- William MacLeod: Painter and Curator, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 10 September - 6 November 2005, no. 22, unpublished checklist, as Cromwell and Milton.
- Phillips, Dorothy W. A Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Vol. 1: Painters born before 1850. Washington, 1966: 96.
- Mann III, Crawford Alexander. "Emanuel Gottlieb Leutze, Evening Party at Milton's, Consisting of Oliver Cromwell and Family, Algernon Sydney, Thurlow, Ireton, &c.." In Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 20, 110-111, 262-263, repro.