on rear of upper level of base: HARRIET W FRISHMUTH[copyright symbol]1921.; on rear of lower level of base: ROMAN BRONZE WORKS NY
Marks and Labels
FM: Roman Bronze Works
Mrs. William Hurd Hill [1877-1957, née Emeleen Carlisle], Washington; gift June 1952 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of art.
- Marble and Bronze: 100 Years of American Sculpture 1840-1940, Adams Davidson Galleries, Washington, 9 October - 16 November 1984, no. 25, repro.
- Picturing the Corcoran's Sculpture: Photographs by David Finn, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 3 November - 30 December 2002, fig. 50.
- Aronson, Charles N. Sculpture Hyacinths. New York, 1973: 123-125.
- Cibulka, Cheryl A. Marble and Bronze, 100 Years of American Sculpture 1840-1940. Washington, 1984: 29.
- Conner, Janis, and Joel Rosenkranz. Rediscoveries in American Sculpture: Studio Works, 1893-1938. Austin, 1989: 40.
- Rubinstein, Charlotte Streifer. American Women Sculptors: A History of Women Working in Three Dimensions. Boston, 1990: 155.
- Finn, David, with Susan Joy Slack. Sculpture at the Corcoran: Photographs by David Finn. New York and Washington, 2002: 122-123.