on proper right rear of base: H A MACNEIL Sc / R.R.S.[Roman Rinehart Scholar] ROME; on proper left side of base: THE SUN VOW; on back, foundry mark: ROMAN BRONZE WORKS 1905
Marks and Labels
FM: Roman Bronze Works
Purchased from the artist June 1905 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
Associated NamesCorcoran Gallery of Art
- Commemorative Exhibition by Members of the National Academy of Design, 1825-1926, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Grand Central Art Galleries, New York, 17 October 1925 - 3 January 1926, no. 403, repro.
- The American West: Selections from the Anschutz Collection and the Corcoran Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 25 March - 26 April 1981, no. 35.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1 March - 27 July 2008, unpublished checklist.
- Cooper, Jeremy. Nineteenth Century Romantic Bronzes. Boston, 1975: 124.
- Vance, William L. America's Rome. New Haven, 1989: 309.
- Reynolds, Donald Martin. Masters of American Sculpture: The Figurative Tradition From the American Renaissance to the Millenium. New York, 1993: 205.
- Craven, Wayne. American Art: History and Culture. New York, 1994: 389.
- Cash, Sarah, with Terrie Sultan. American Treasures of The Corcoran Gallery of Art. New York, 2000: 143.
- Walker, Andrew J. "The Aesthetics of Extinction: Art and Science in the Indian Sculptures of Hermon Atkins MacNeil." In Thayer Tolles, ed. Perspectives on American Sculpture before 1925. New York and New Haven, 2003: 96-115.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: