on side of base at back left: CRAWFORD / FECIT / [lost]ME 185[lost]
Collection of the artist's wife, Louisa Ward Crawford Terry [1823-1897], Rome; purchased 1886 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 15 April - 30 September 1966, unpublished checklist.
- Corcoran [The American Genius], Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 24 January - 4 April 1976, unnumbered catalogue.
- Hicks, Thomas. Thomas Crawford, His Career, Character, and Works: A Eulogy. New York, 1858: 31.
- Taft, Lorado. The History of American Scupture. New York, 1930: 74-75.
- Crane, Sylvia. White Silence: Greenough, Powers and Crawford: American Sculptors in Nineteenth-Century Italy. Miami, 1972: 330, 368, 457.
- Gerdts, William H. American Neo-Classic Sculpture: The Marble Resurrection. New York, 1973: 76, fig. 47.
- Craven, Wayne. Sculpture in America. Newark and New York, 1984: 133.