(Farm auction, New Baltimore, Virginia); Mr. and Mrs. Gurney P. Sloan, Dunedin, Florida; purchased 7 November 1973 by (Hirschl & Adler, New York); purchased 11 February 1981 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- American Folk Art, Hirschl & Adler Galleries, New York, 26 November - 29 December 1977, no. 2, frontispiece.
- Acquisitions Since 1975, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 5 November 1982 - 16 January 1983, unpublished checklist, as Portrait of a Clergyman (Martin Luther?).
- Reflections of Faith: Religious Folk Art in America, Museum of American Folk Art at the IBM Gallery, New York, 6 December 1983 - 21 January 1984, catalogue with no checklist, fig. 191, as by an Unidentified Artist, Portrait of a Clergyman.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, NY; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, no. 6.
- Painters and Paintings in the American South, DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum, Williamsburg, 2013-2014.
- Possibly American Folk Art, Commerce Union Bank, Nashville.
Exhibition History Notes
 This exhibition is mentioned in a letter of 2 December 1980 from Mrs. M.P. Naud at Hirschl & Adler to Edward Nygren, Curator of Collections at the Corcoran, but no date is given for it, and subsequent research has not been able to confirm it; see Jenny Carson's 20 June 2007 memo, in NGA curatorial files. The painting was also exhibited during its ownership by Mr. and Mrs. Gurney P. Sloan at "the Museum in St. Petersburg [Florida] and the Gulf Coast Art Center in Clearwater [Florida];" see the quote from Mr. Sloan's letter of 7 November 1973 to Hirschl & Adler, sent in an e-mail of 18 April 2008 from Zachary Ross of Hirschl & Adler to Emily Shapiro of the Corcoran, in NGA curatorial files.
- Dewhurst, C. Kurt, Betty MacDowell, and Marsha MacDowell. Religious Folk Art in America: Reflections of Faith. New York, 1983: 98, 137 fig. 191.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 305, repro.