lower left: G. Inness 1876
(Sale, Leavitt Art Galleries, New York, 20 February 1879, as Etretat, Coast of France). Edward N. Gibbs, New York; by descent to his daughter-in-law, Mrs. Gibbs Sherrill, Beverly Farms, Massachusetts. (Childs Gallery, Boston); purchased 27 April 1959 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Progress of an American Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 25 October-29 December 1963, unpublished checklist.
- The Paintings of George Inness (1844-1894), University Art Museum, University of Texas, Austin, 1965-1966, no. 64.
- Loan, U. S. Embassy, Rome, 1971-1972.
- Long-term Loan, Office of the Vice President, Washington, 1975-1977.
- George Inness, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1985.
- Long-term Loan, United States Department of the Treasury, Washington, 1985-1988.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013-28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 303, repro.