Thomas B. Carroll, Saratoga, New York, by 1895; purchased by Mary Ellen Ford and Charles Henry Hart, Philadelphia; purchased by William A. Clark [1839-1925], New York, by 1905; bequest 1926 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Loan Exhibition of Portraits, Art Institute of Chicago, 1905, no. 121.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1966, unpublished checklist.
- The Great Game of Politics, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1972, unpublished checklist.
- Corcoran [The American Genuis], Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1976, no checklist.
- American Masterpieces from American Museums, Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte, 1986, no catalogue.
- The William A. Clark Collection: Treasures of a Copper King, Yellowstone Art Center, Billings; Montana Historical Society, Helena, 1989, unnumbered catalogue.
- Figuratively Speaking: The Human Form in American Art, 1770-1950, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2004, unpublished checklist.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2008, unpublished checklist.
- Discovering the Real George Washington: A View from Mount Vernon, Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens, 2010-2011.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013-28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Miles, Ellen G. "Gilbert Stuart, George Washington." In Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 58-59, 255, repro.