lower left, in monogram: WMH
The artist; (his estate sale, Horticultural Hall, Boston, 1st session, 3 February 1880, no. 25); Alexander Agassiz [1835-1910]. purchased March 1961 by S.G. Lorris. Cecil D. Kaufmann [1904-1976], Washington; gift December 1966 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Exhibition of the Works of William Morris Hunt, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 11 November-15 December 1879, no. 39.
- Park Square Studio, Boston, 19-30 January 1880.
- Probably Loan Collection of Paintings in the West and East Galleries, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, April-October 1880, no. 15, as Niagara.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 15 April - 30 September 1966, unpublished checklist, as Niagara Falls.
- The Late Landscapes of William Morris Hunt, University of Maryland Art Gallery, College Park; Albany Institute of History and Art, 1976, no. 28, repro.
- The American Landscape Tradition, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 31 January - 31 August 1978, unpublished checklist, as Niagara Falls (American Falls).
- Niagara: Two Centuries of Changing Attitudes, 1697-1901, Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; New-York Historical Society, 13 July 1985 - 27 April 1986, no. 111, repro.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 303, repro.