lower left: L. Alma-Tadema Op. / CCXXXII
Commissioned by William H. Stewart [1820-1897], Philadelphia and Paris; (his estate sale, American Art Association, New York, 3-4 February 1898, 1st day, no. 13, as Roman Youth Reading Horace); William A. Clark [1839-1925], New York; bequest 1926 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- The William A. Clark Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 26 April - 16 June 1978, unnumbered catalogue.
- Sargent's Contemporaries, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 4 June - 28 August 1983, unpublished checklist, no. 2, as Roman Youth Reading Horace.
- Antiquities to Impressionism: The William A. Clark Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001-2002, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Carroll, Dana H. Catalogue of Objects of Fine Art and Other Properties at the Home of William Andrews Clark, 962 Fifth Avenue. Part I. Unpublished manuscript, n.d. (1925): 169.
- Swanson, Vern G. The Biography and Catalogue Raisonné of Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema. London, 1990: 215, no. 271.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: