lower left: J G Vibert
The artist; consigned 3 November 1868 to (Goupil and Co., Paris); sold 2 March 1869 by the artist to "M. Reitlinger." August M. Whittingham; bequest 1980 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- La Vie Moderne: Nineteenth Century French Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Columbus Museum of Arts and Sciences, Georgia; Mary and Leigh Block Gallery, Northwestern University, Evanston; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Tampa Museum; Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha; Akron Art Museum, 1983-1985, no. 22, repro.
- Cavaliers and Cardinals: Nineteenth Century French Anecdotal Paintings, Taft Museum, Cincinnati; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Arnot Art Museum, Elmira, New York, 25 June 1992 - 17 January 1993, no. 40, repro.
- A Passion for Nature: Landscape Painting from 19th Century France, Art Gallery of Alberta, Edmonton, 15 October 2011 - 20 February 2012, no catalogue.
- Vibert, Jehan-Georges. La Comedie en Peinture. London, 1902: repro. 153.
- Hendrick, Robert. "The Artist as Myth-Maker: Creating Heroes in Nineteenth-Century French Science." Art & Academe. 1996: 28.