lower left: Th. Rousseau
M. Lefebvre, Roubaix; (his estate sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 4 May 1896, no. 43); (M. Knoedler and Co., New York); sold 12 May 1896 to William A. Clark [1839-1925], New York; bequest April 1926 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- The William A. Clark Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 26 April - 16 July 1978, unnumbered catalogue.
- A Passion for Nature: Landscape Painting from 19th Century France, Art Gallery of Alberta, Edmonton, 15 October 2011 - 20 February 2012, no catalogue.
- Hoeber, Arthur. The Barbizon Painters. New York, 1915: repro. opposite 236, as Landscape at Picardie.
- Carroll, Dana H. Catalogue of Objects of Fine Art and Other Properties at the Home of William Andrews Clark, 962 Fifth Avenue. Part I. Unpublished manuscript, n.d. (1925): 180, no. 193.
- Schulman, Michel. Théodore Rousseau, 1812-1867. 2 vols. Paris, 1999: 2:308, no. 596, repro., as Plaine de Cély en Bière, forêt de Fontainebleau.