lower right in graphite: Fort Hamilton / Staten Island / Jan, 3rd, 1854; lower left corner in graphite by unknown hand: #46; lower right verso in graphite by unknown hand: 14 x 17 - Ploted gray / 1/2 avay polish
notes in graphite: Sky mellow hazy blue / warmish grey along the horizon / blackish mellow grey water / lighter & slight tint / green as it comes to the shore / black brown grey / Timber warm / warm / snow / very blue in the light / of the shadows
(Victor Spark, New York); Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1948; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art
- In Praise of Space, Westminster College Art Gallery, New Wilmington, Pennsylvania; Parsons School of Design, New York, 1975-1976
- Sketches by Contemporaries of Frederic E. Church, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1979
- Hudson River Drawing, Falmouth Public Library, Massachusetts, 1980-1981
- Images of the Land: 200 Years of Landscape Painting in the Northeastern United States, Heritage Plantation of Sandwich, Massachusetts, 1983
- Simmons, Linda Crocker and with the assistance of Adrianne J. Humphrey, et al. American Drawings, Watercolors, Pastels, and Collages in the Collection of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Washington, DC: Corcoran Gallery of Art, 1983: p. 38, no. 267.