lower center in pen and black ink: C. D. Gibson; lower center in graphite: Mr. Pipp no 5. His granddaughters discover that he know the words of the star spangled banner
(Berry-Hill Galleries, New York); Orme Wilson, Washington, DC, 1961; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1965; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art
- [exhibition title unknown], Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Massachusetts, 1943
- [exhibition title unknown], Berry-Hill Galleries, New York, 1961
- The Artist as Illustrator, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1981
- Twentieth Century American Drawings: The Figure in Context, Terra Museum of American Art, Evanston, Illinois; Arkansas Arts Center, Little Rock; Oklahoma Museum of Art, Oklahoma City; Toledo Museum of Art, Ohio; Elvehjem Museum of Art, Madison, Wisconsin; National Academy of Desing, New York, 1984-1985, p. 56, repro
- American Masters: Works on Paper from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC; Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service, 1986-1988, pp. 45-46
- Simmons, Linda Crocker and with the assistance of Adrianne J. Humphrey, et al. American Drawings, Watercolors, Pastels, and Collages in the Collection of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Washington, DC: Corcoran Gallery of Art, 1983: p. 129, no. 869.