lower right in graphite: American; lower left in graphite by unknown hand: J.S.35
Miss Emily Sargent and Mrs. Violet Sargent Ormond (sisters of the artist), Surrey, England; National Gallery (now known as the Smithsonian American Art Museum), Washington, DC, 1929, left in storage at the Corcoran Gallery of Art; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1949; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art
- Exhibition of the Works by the Late John S. Sargent, R.A., Royal Academy, London, England, 1926
- John Singer Sargent in the Edwardian Age, Detroit Institute of Arts, Michigan, 1979
- John Singer Sargent: Drawings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC; Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service, 1983, p. 97, no. 83, repro
- "Sketch Everything and Keep Your Curiosity Fresh": Sargent Drawings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1999
- Gross, Ellen and James Harithas. Drawings by John Singer Sargent in the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Alhambra, CA: Borden, 1967.
- Simmons, Linda Crocker and with the assistance of Adrianne J. Humphrey, et al. American Drawings, Watercolors, Pastels, and Collages in the Collection of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Washington, DC: Corcoran Gallery of Art, 1983: p. 112, no. 745.