lower left in graphite by unknown hand: J.S.19
Miss Emily Sargent and Mrs. Violet Sargent Ormond (sisters of the artist), Surrey, England; National Gallery (now known as the Smithsonian American Art Museum), Washington, DC, 1929, left in storage at the Corcoran Gallery of Art; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1949; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art
- John Singer Sargent in the Corcoran Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2009-2010
- Charteris, Evan. John Sargent. New York: Scribner's, 1927, p. 68.
- Gross, Ellen and James Harithas. Drawings by John Singer Sargent in the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Alhambra, CA: Borden, 1967.
- Nygren, Edward J. John Singer Sargent: Drawings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service and the Corcoran Gallery of Art, 1983, p. 55, no. 29.
- Simmons, Linda Crocker and with the assistance of Adrianne J. Humphrey, et al. American Drawings, Watercolors, Pastels, and Collages in the Collection of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Washington, DC: Corcoran Gallery of Art, 1983: p. 105, no. 691.