John Cranch [1807-1891], Urbana, Ohio; purchased 9 May 1981 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Loan for display at the National Cathedral School for Girls, Washington, 1916-1942.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, April - September 1966, unpublished checklist.
- Loan for display at the U.S. Department of State, Washington, 1973.
- The Paintings of Charles Bird King (1785-1862), National Collection of Fine Arts (now Smithsonian American Art Museum), Washington, 4 November 1977 - 22 January 1978, no. 47, repro.
- Messengers of Style: Itinerancy and Taste in Southern Portraiture, 1790-1861, Greenville County Museum of Art, 19 January - 7 March 1993.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, checklist no. 11.
- Legacy: Spain and the United States in the Age of Independence, 1763-1848, National Portrait Gallery, Washington, 27 September 2007 - 10 February 2008, no. 56, repro.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1 March - 27 July 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Phillips, Dorothy W. A Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Vol. 1: Painters born before 1850. Washington, 1966: 50, repro.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 305, repro.