lower right: Geo De. Forest Brush / Florence 1905
Francis Sydney Smithers [1849-1919], Glen Cove and New York City, by 1906; by inheritance to his wife, Mabel Stevens Smithers [b.1868], Greenwich, Connecticut; gift 1949 to Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Twenty-Eighth Annual Exhibition, Society of American Artists, New York, 17 March - 22 April 1906, no. 321.
- Catalog of a Collection of American Masters, Macbeth Galleries, New York, 13 October - 26 October 1925, no. 14.
- Retrospective Exhibition of Paintings by George de Forest Brush, N.A., Grand Central Art Galleries, New York, 7 January - 18 January 1930, no. 27, repro.
- The Romantic Century, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 22 June - 9 September 1963, unpublished checklist.
- George de Forest Brush: Master of the American Renaissance, Berry-Hill Galleries, New York; Currier Gallery of Art, Manchester, New Hampshire; Butler Institute of American Art, Youngstown, Ohio; Fine Arts Center at Cheekwood, Nashville, 1985-1986, no. 44, repro., as Mother Reading.
- The Italian Presence in American Art, 1860-1920, Richard York Gallery, New York, 17 November - 29 December 1989, no. 8, as Mother Reading.
- The Lure of Italy: American Artists and The Italian Experience, 1760-1914, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; Cleveland Museum of Art; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 1992-1993, no. 102, repro., as Mother Reading.
- The Gilded Cage: Views of American Women, 1873-1921, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 13 July - 27 August 2002, unpublished checklist, as Mother Reading.
- Phillips, Dorothy W. A Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Vol. 2: Painters born from 1850 to 1910. Washington, 1973: 22.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 186 fig. 1, 187, 291, repro.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: