lower right: E. Johnson / 1873
James Sloan, by 1875. purchased probably before April 1883 by Nathan Guilford [1841-1907], New York and Yonkers; by inheritance to his widow, Mary Wallace Guilford [b. 1841]; by inheritance 1936 to their daughter, Mary Wallace Stewart [née Guilford, 1872-c. 1955]; by inheritance to her sons, Guilford Stewart [1905-1968], Sharon, Massachusetts, and Ralph Aldace Stewart, Jr.; (Childs Gallery, Boston); purchased October 1957 as Woman in an Interior by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Probably Century Association, New York, 10 January 1874, no. 3, as Lady Before a Mirror.
- Fiftieth Annual Exhibition of the National Academy of Design, New York, 8 April - 20 May 1875, no. 174.
- Progress of an American Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1963, unpublished checklist, as The Earring.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1966, unpublished checklist, as The Earring.
- American Pupils of Thomas Couture, University of Maryland Art Gallery, College Park, 1970, no. 22, as The Earring.
- Eastman Johnson: Retrospective Exhibition, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; Detroit Institute of Arts; Cincinnati Art Museum; Milwaukee Art Center, 1972, no. 74, as The Earring.
- Of Time and Place: American Figurative Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Cincinnati Art Museum; San Diego Museum of Art; University of Kentucky Art Museum, Lexington; Hunter Museum of Art, Chattanooga; Philbrook Art Center, Tulsa; Portland Art Museum, Oregon, Oregon; Des Moines Art Center; Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, Florida, 1981-1983, no. 14.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, Honolulu Academy of Arts, 1987.
- Eastman Johnson: Painting America, Brooklyn Museum of Art; San Diego Museum of Art; Seattle Art Museum, 2000, no. 39.
- The Gilded Cage: Views of American Women, 1873-1921, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2002, unpublished checklist.
- Figuratively Speaking: The Human Form in American Art, 1770-1950, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 20 November 2004 - 7 August 2005, unpublished checklist.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, NY; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, checklist no. 66.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Paintings from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 6 June - 18 October 2009, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Napolitano, Laura Groves. "Eastman Johnson, The Toilet." In Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 136-137, 267, repro.