lower left, incised: Bernard Karfiol
The artist; purchased October 1928 through (Frank K.M. Rehn Gallery, New York) by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Eleventh Biennial Exhibition of Contemporary American Oil Paintings, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 28 October - 9 December 1928, no. 132, repro.
- An Exhibition of Paintings, Water Colors and Drawings by Bernard Karfiol, Department of Fine Arts, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, May - June 1939, no. 14, repro.
- Twenty-fifth Biennial Exhibition of Contemporary American Oil Paintings, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Toledo Museum of Art, 13 January - 30 April 1957, no. 11.
- Colby College Sesquicentennial Exhibition: Art in Maine, Colby College, Waterville, Maine, 4 May - 31 August 1963.
- Maine and Its Artists, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 12 December 1963 - 14 March 1964.
- Of Time and Place: American Figurative Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Cincinnati Art Museum; San Diego Museum of Art; University of Kentucky Art Museum, Lexington; Hunter Museum of Art, Chattanooga; Philbrook Art Center, Tulsa; Portland Art Museum, Oregon; Des Moines Art Center; Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, FL, 1981-1983, no. 43.
- Henri's Circle, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 20 April - 16 June 1985, unnumbered checklist.
- Isabel Bishop and Bernard Karfiol: The Realist and the Romantic, Ogunquit Museum of Art, Maine, 1-29 August 1995.
- The Forty-fifth Biennial: The Corcoran Collects, 1907–1998, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 17 July - 29 September 1998, unnumbered catalogue.
- Youth and Beauty: Art of the American Twenties, Brooklyn Museum; Dallas Museum of Art; Cleveland Museum of Art, 2011-2012, repro.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 304, repro.