lower left: F. W. Benson / 1917
The artist; purchased 20 December 1919 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Eleventh Annual Exhibition of Selected Paintings by American Artists, Buffalo Fine Arts Academy, Albright Art Gallery, 12 May - 17 September 1917, no. 13.
- Twentieth Annual Exhibition: Ten American Painters, Montross Gallery, New York, 6-24 March 1917, no. 1.
- Seventh Exhibition: Oil Paintings by Contemporary American Artists, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 December 1919 - 25 January 1920, no. 186.
- Paintings, Etchings and Drawings by Frank W. Benson, Guild of Boston Artists, 5-17 April 1920, no. 11.
- Paintings, Etchings and Drawings by Frank W. Benson, Corcoran Gallery of Art, 24 March -13 April 1921. no. 25.
- Paintings, Etchings, Watercolors, by Frank E. Benson, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 4 January - 15 February 1924, no. 38.
- Frank W. Benson, Edmund C. Tarbell: Exhibition of Paintings, Drawings and Prints, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 16 November - 15 December 1938, no. 27.
- Twenty-fifth Biennial Exhibition of Contemporary American Oil Paintings, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Toledo Museum of Art, 1957, no. 7.
- Two American Impressionists: Frank W. Benson and Edmund C. Tarbell, University Art Galleries of the University of New Hampshire, Durham, 1979, unnumbered cat.
- The Bostonians: Painters of an Elegant Age, 1870-1930, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; Denver Art Museum; Terra Museum of American Art, 1986-1987, no. 74, repro.
- Frank W. Benson: A Retrospective, Berry-Hill Galleries, New York, 1989, no. 43.
- The Forty-fifth Biennial: The Corcoran Collects, 1907–1998, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 17 July - 29 September 1998, unnumbered catalogue.
- The Gilded Cage: Views of American Women, Corcoran Gallery of Art, 2002, unpublished checklist.
- The Impressionist Tradition in America, Corcoran Gallery of Art, 2003-2004, unpublished checklist.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, NY; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, checklist no.66.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Paintings from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 6 June -18 October 2009, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Larkin, Susan G. "Frank Weston Benson, The Open Window." In Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 216-217, 279, repro.